Board index Archives Writing Kenyon the hunter fox (Chapter 1)

Kenyon the hunter fox (Chapter 1)

Wordy arts go here!

Post Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:57 am
Ashewell User avatar
Global Moderator

I wrote it pff.. a long time ago. Theres more too. Probably

Chapter I – A Meeting with Wolves

"Hey, is anybody there?" the voice rang out through the empty parking garage, "I said, is anyone there?" The small arctic fox's voice echoed through the confines and then faded away, returning to silence. The sound of dripping water can be heard echoing across the garage. Kenyon thought to himself and shivered, "Man, this place is really creepy." The parking garage was vacant, except for a few cars scattered about, all worse for wear. Some of them were covered in so much dust; there would be no way to tell what color they were. None of them looked like they work. He peered into the inky darkness of the underground parking garage, with only the sunlight behind him for light.
Kenyon was an average fox, with average looks. His fur is white and of an average length and his tail is bushy. There are no distinctive markings on his body and nothing unusual in his abilities. The only thing unusual about him is his inexplicable love for treasure hunting. Others call it an obsession and that he’ll never amount to anything, but he doesn’t care what they say.
He entered slowly and cautiously, constantly looking around as if someone might be there. A shadow darted from behind one car to another and Kenyon jumped. He saw the dark silhouette of a wolf approach. He started to back away slowly, but bumped into something furry. He turned around to see three other wolves looking down on him. Kenyon knew he was surrounded.
"What are you doing here, boy?" a gruff voice said and Kenyon turned quickly. The voice came from a large and rather imposing grey wolf with small patches of fur missing. Behind the wolf were two slightly smaller male grey wolves and one female wolf with beautiful brown fur. She had the expression that she was bored of her current surroundings and wished for something new, but had nowhere else to go. She glanced at the fox but turn away.
"I-I was..." Kenyon stammered.
"Silence!" the wolf growled.
He was clearly the alpha of the pack. Kenyon began shivering with his tail in-between his legs, his body too afraid to move. Some of the other wolves were growling. Others were merely snickering behind him. A shaggy looking wolf whispered to another wolf, "Man, the boss is scaring the little thing. Hey, how long do you think it'll take before he wets himself?" The other wolf just chuckled and they continued to watch the shivering fox in front of them. The wolf on the left of the Alpha spoke, "Hey Boss, I've seen this fox before" Then the one on the right said, "Yea, what was his name?" He thought for a moment. "Oh, right! That's that famous Hunter fox, Kenyon!" Boss's ears twitched and he chuckled, "Kenyon, eh? So you're the famous treasure hunter?" Kenyon nodded, still shivering. Boss spoke again, "Then you, out of anyone, should know that this is our territory and we don't take to kindly to trespassers. I suggest you leave."
"I h-honestly did not know...” Kenyon tried to speak again, but was quickly silenced by a growl by Boss. "Bruno, Viktor, show our 'guest' the door." The two wolves behind the Alpha perked their ears at the sound of their name being mentioned and gave a small chuckle, "Our pleasure, Boss" Bruno said. The two wolves immediately bounded for Kenyon and he bolted.
Kenyon tried using his small size to his advantage, but he was slow, and the wolves were catching up quickly. Kenyon darted around and under cars, trying his best to evade his pursuers. He jumped on one of the cars, and an ear-splitting screech erupted from it. The wolves, startled by the sound pouring out the car, ran back into the depths. Kenyon, scared out of his mind, saw the exit in the distance and ran full force towards the light.
He busted out into the fresh autumn air panting and wheezing. The little fox looked around and took in the beautiful sunset, the sun just a sliver of gold on the horizon shining meekly before going under. "Wow, it's that late already?" Kenyon thought, "I should be heading home now." Exhausted, the fox headed down the empty street. He observed the vacant buildings that lined the deserted road. There was an eerie feeling in the air, an abandoned human city forgotten by time. Everything seemed to be unkempt and covered in dirt; you could see fox paw prints down the empty corridor of the road.
It’s been nearly 200 years since humans mysteriously vanished, but the vestiges of their civilization still remain; a monument to the wastes of nature. Animals have now returned to the lands they once owned and adapted well to the changes of man. As Kenyon headed home, he thought want humans looked like. He had see faces on posters and billboards, but nothing compares to seeing in real life. Kenyon approached what looked to be an abandoned convenience store. Finally, Kenyon had made it home.
He jumped hard onto the panel that opened the front door and it slid open silently. Kenyon entered and climbed a conveniently placed stack of boxes that led up to a light switch and flipped it with his nose. Immediately, the lights flickered to life with a buzzing sound. Most of the store was derelict; the place was covered with patches of dust, overturned racks that once held food but now lay bare, and cracked glass on some of the freezers. The fox’s stomach growled and he sniffed around the racks for food. He happened to chance upon a can of his favorite chips.
Kenyon couldn’t read much of the human language, but the can said something similar to “Pringles.” Kenyon didn’t know what a “Pringle” is, but they taste very good, especially the ones that came in the red can. He finished off the can and yawned. “Man, I am TIRED” Kenyon said out loud. Kenyon jumped upon the counter and looked around the room. "This place is all out of food, guess I need to find a new home." He said to himself. He hopped behind the counter and landed on a pile of old rags and cloths. "Ouch!" Kenyon exclaimed. He nudged aside some fabric and found one of the treasures that he had found; a tarnished necklace. He picked up the necklace and put it around his neck. The fox glanced towards and examined his treasures and sighed. "Looks like I'm gonna have to leave some things behind... Again...” he stated. Kenyon lay gently onto the cloths and yawned. "So, tomorrow's the day." Kenyon softly said as he fell asleep, "The day I move."

-------------

"Grr... I can't believe YOU let him get away." Viktor grunted, as he and Bruno slowly sulked back down the parking garage. "Me!? You were in front, you let him get away!" responded Bruno, glaring angrily. Both of them fear what might happen next when they reach back; being reprimanded from Boss was something that never wanted to happen again. Immediately, Boss emerged from the shadows in-between two dust-caked cars along with his mate peeking around the corner, not making a sound. His voice was calm and cool, with the hint of superiority. “I trust you two got the job done?” he asked, his dark emerald eyes locked onto the forms of Bruno and Viktor. Both the males exchanged nervous glances to each other, but it was Bruno’s mildly confident voice that broke the silence
“Uh… Yeah. Of course Boss!” Bruno said with a nervous chuckle. Viktor glance at his packmate, then to the Alpha, watching his expression. Boss eyed them both before giving a curt nod and turning away. His mate followed off to his left side. Both Bruno and Viktor sighed silently in relief that their Alpha bought their lie and followed after him into the darkness of the parking garage. Outside, the sun vanished behind the horizon and the sky filled with the twinkling of stars. The half moon rose high into the sky, but became over taken by thick dark clouds from the ocean. Occasionally white flashes of light and distant rumbles roll through the night sky, signifying the coming storm...

Return to Writing